What is it?
Nuvaring is a small plastic ring that you can bend and it looks like a bracelet. Once you put it in your vagina (as easy as putting in a tampon, btw) it releases progestin and estrogen hormones into your body to stop your ovaries from releasing eggs. It also thickens your cervical mucus – making it harder for sperm to reach the eggs. The ring stays in place for 3 weeks, then you take it out for a week, have your period, then put in another. It won’t get lost, and you don’t have to take it out during sex.
How effective is it?
About 9 pregnancies per 100 people.
How often do I take it?
Insert once every 3 weeks, then wait a week, and insert another (so technically once a month).
• Easy to insert and remove
• Won’t bother you during sex
• It doesn’t require daily attention
• Your periods will be shorter and lighter with fewer cramps
• Expect more regular periods
• Does not protect against STIs
• Remembering when to put a new one in may be tough
• Your partner may feel it while having sex
• It may cause weight gain, mood swings, and headaches
• May cause vaginal discharge, discomfort and irritation in the vagina