What is it?
It is a small, plastic,T-shaped device wrapped in a copper thread. The device is placed in the uterus by your healthcare provider. The copper changes the chemistry inside your uterus, making it hard for sperm and eggs to find each other and survive. It can stay in place for up to 10 years or until you decide to remove it. This is the longest lasting form of birth control around. It also has no hormones which means no funny business like mood swings, acne, or weight gain.
How effective is it?
Less than 1 pregnancy per 100 women.
How often do I take it?
It just takes one visit with your healthcare provider to insert it, and can last up to 10 years.
• Longest lasting option available
• No weight gain, mood swings, acne
• If you want a monthly period, you’ll get it here
• It is the most effective emergency contraception method
• It isn’t effected by other medications
• Great option for those who want to avoid hormones or can’t take hormones
• You can get pregnant right away after removal
• It may cause heavier, longer periods, cramps and spotting in between periods, especially in the first few months
• On rare occasions, it can slip out of place
• Does not protect against STIs
• Small risk of infection when inserted and removed