What is it?
It’s about the same size as a matchstick. Your healthcare provider uses a tiny needle to insert it just under the skin of your upper arm. Don’t worry, we numb the area first so you won’t feel a thing! The implant works by releasing the hormone progestin, which changes the chemistry of your uterus, making it harder for sperm and egg to find each other and survive. It’s a highly effective form of birth control, and can last up to 3 years.
How effective is it?
It’s the most effective contraceptive method available; less than 1 pregnancy per 100 women
How often do I take it?
It just takes one visit with your healthcare provider to insert it, and can last up to 3 years
• It’s the most effective form of birth control around
• Great for women who don’t want to worry about remembering birth control
• It doesn’t interrupt sex
• Offers another option to those affected by the estrogen hormone
• You can get pregnant right away after removal
• Your periods will change. This is safe, but can be annoying
• It takes 7 days to start working after it’s put in (so wear a condom)
• Does not protect against STIs
• It may cause weight gain, acne or headaches (1 in 100 females)